in praise of the pegasus zoom 33

The running corner of the internet that I frequent seems to be getting more expensive. I decided, in response, to write a paean to Nike's budget-friendly running shoe, the Pegasus Zoom 33.
It almost functions as a trail shoe, too - which is to say: I fell in them once, when the traction just wasn't there over a big rock. But for merely root-knotted trail, they are fine. They are great on non-technical trail. They are great on cement, which is largely what I run on, to get to trail.
I have run months of weeks over 60 miles in them, and am now doing marathon training in the same pair. And I am amazed that the soles still look almost brand new.
Perhaps best of all is that they can handle some ice. I tried to find other reviews on the internet that would tell me how they would perform on ice, but to limited avail: I only learned that they can handle ice where there is some traction from some snow. My winter here has been snow that turns to ice. So, when the sun was powerful enough the other day to melt some stretches of ice, before heading out, I went online to Nike's customer service to ask about how the Pegs would perform, and was connected to an "expert" which I thought was kind of nifty, I have to say, which is why I mention it. The resulting chat led me to lace up my Pegs and take a cautious run. While the Pegs do not inspire confidence on ice, meaning: it's necessary to change up stride and pace where sheets of ice were several meters long, they do get the job done.
Considering all of the above, I think they are a super great budget shoe. But as the budget savvy know, sometimes there are trade-offs to saving. In this case: the toe box seems a little cramped, even though I go up a full shoe size in Nike running shoes. This is in part because I have a Morton's toe. The restriction has not caused discomfort or change to my stride, but is affecting the aesthetics of my toenails, ahem - one clears one's throat by way of verbal nail polish. Just kidding, I don't polish my runner's toenails. Also, I have periodically felt a little discomfort in the middle of my foot since wearing these shoes, but nothing that a ridged dog-toy ball hasn't been able to fix.
All of this to say that while I sing the praise of the Peg here, this is no naive love song, nor is it an ideal one: it's inspired by a pragmatic and economically respectful love. 

Brush: Misprinted Type.
Magazine in background: marathon enrollment magazine-swag.
Featured: Nikes that have run around 1,000 miles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Squite Workout

pursues you in your flight

Caves